There is a lot more to what is written here. All those experiences; how it has shape me into the person I am today. Hope it will inspire you to actually pack your backpack and just travel!
1. Yes, I failed my University but many children never have the chance to even go to school.
2. I’m full, jut throw away that food. Many people eat from the garbage. Yes, I’ve seen that.
3. I am a Muslim, I’m not terrorist. I’m American and I’m not Islam-phobic.
4. People offer your beer, you decline. They respect you and actually get you other drink just so that you can hang out with them.
5. Hugging is pretty normal for traveler. It may be awkward for us Asian but it’s a good gesture.No harm.
6. Not every White are from America, go learn Geography.
7. French people love it when you speak their language. It gets a long way.
8. Heck, not only the French loves it, basically if you can speak any or little foreign languages, natives love it.
9. Street food is the best food. In fact, the Michelin Stars should be awarded to these hawkers.
10. Being a Muslim is not a barrier to travel. There shouldn’t be any fear.
11. Sharing a glass of hot tea with other backpacker will help bond your relationship.
12. Internet is indeed the Goddess of information. Ditch you bulky travel guide books.
13. I can now eat while other friends eat pork or drink beer. I learn how to adapt.
15. Grasshopper is not as gross as you think. Just imagine eating crispy prawn with extra legs and wings.
16. Never ever leave any of your important stuffs(passport, credit card , etc) in your backpack that you keep in the luggage compartment in the bus in Thailand.
17. Have a debit card or credit card, it helps during emergency.
18. If it rains, just go out. Tell me, in what odd chance you can play in the rain in a foreign country?
19. Learn how to differentiate drinking water and mineral water. Well, you don’t want to be ripped off aites?
20. Hearing stories and experiences from other backpackers/ travelers will toughen you. Physically and emotionally.
21. Getting lost in a foreign country is the best way to know the place well.
22. If you think there is people following you, just make a random stop at a nearby shop. They will usually walk away.
23. Vegetarian is not bad. Seriously.
24. Bargaining skill is essential. You might just get half-price to travel long -haul.
What’s your “24 things I learned through backpacking/ traveling”?